Monday, December 11, 2006

So I admit I have been a bit of a baby lately, just in the way that I refused to write any more blogs unless I was receiving some sort of comment, so if there is actually anybody reading them, I'm sorry. Anyone who knows me knows there is always a ton of stuff going through my head, so I will just pick the first one that pops in... Born Again.

So I do a Bible study for a Christian college group called University Christian Ministries (UCM). It is pretty cool, but can be very frustrating at times. I lead the Bible study with another girl, and we were kind of in a rush one, day but we felt we completed a decent Bible study, so we went in there with it.

When we got there, thing just kind of stopped, but fortunately we just read through the Bible, and it was great, we read John 3:1-21. In it Jesus talks about being "born again." And something I never noticed before, he says that he puts this in "earthly terms"

Now if Jesus put it in earthly terms, then there must be more to it, so the Spirit began to work and some cool stuff came out it went some thing like this...

As I was talking, I realized that when we are born again, we are just like a baby: helpless, crying, needy, eating baby food, etc.

I got a strange image though. What if a baby always wanted to be a baby? What if it said, " I'm just going to stay helpless, why would I grow up? Here I get everything brought to me, I get my diaper changed, I get carried around, why would I want to get up out of this crib, try walking, exploring, etc.??"

I asked the attendees, what would you say to such a strange baby? How would you explain that there are so many amazing things to experience out there through growth?

The baby responds, "But what if I get hurt? Won't it just be safer to stay up in this crib? Can't I experience things from someone holding me and carrying me around?"

It's funny, because I would wager that not one person would deny that a baby experience infinitely more pain but getting up, crawling around, walking, running, and generally experiencing life. But at the same time, not one person would say, "your right, its safer to just stay a helpless baby."

I think we're seeing the point.

We do this in our Christian walks. We want to stay in the stage where God carries us around and shows us stuff. We want to eat baby food, have everything brought to us, and be consoled when we are lonely. But any good father would encourage a baby to get up and explore and experience life. And what kind of relationship does a baby have with his father? Not much. But a toddler has a better one, and a teen (if he's not nuts) will have an even better one.

So what I'm saying is, don't be afraid! Get out of your crib! If you stay their, your missing out in the same way a baby is that never wants to get out of her crib. Hope that all made sense. Peace.

Tawmis.

2 comments:

Clay said...

With this point I think we have to remember that God does the growing. Some people will grow faster than others.
We should be content with where we are and celibrate every step of growth.I don't think babys look at todlers thinking, "man I wish I could run", and at the skateboard park if I can do a kickflip easily i still celibrate with the skateboarder who just landed their first one.
The focus should maybe not be on growing but on seeking God with your whole heart and know he will do the rest. Maybe the problem isn't Christians not wanting to grow, but that they are trying to grow without the help of a father

Tawmis said...

Hey Clay,

thanks for stopping by, and pointing that out. Your right, God makes us grow. I definately neglected that point, but the metaphor still holds true. A baby cannot stop from growing physically, but they can experience arrested development by chosing to to experience life and face the conflicts they come across. That is why we have full grown men who still punch guys in the fact when they can't get there way, because they never grew up. Just as I can wated, fertilize and tend to a seed, I can take steps to personal growth. but without God and all he provides, (Sun, soil ecology, and life in general) The plant cannot grow.